eNewsletter – May, 2014
President’s Message: Our New Web Site (updated), Mobile Devices and YouTube – Mark’s Tech Corner: Traverse PC – Found Online – Eric Tanikawa: Download Only
Our New Web Site, Mobile Devices and YouTube
We just rolled out a completely new web site for Traverse PC. It does lots of things better.
We adopted tabs on most pages in order to reduce the number of levels. For the most part, you’ll find everything you need with just one click from the home page menu. If you already use TPC, on-line support is now easier to get to. If you are just out there looking for new surveying software, our new web site makes it easier toevaluate TPC.
Our new web site resizes automatically to fit your mobile device. Many of you now use a tablet or cell phone to read your email and search the web. Our new site automatically re-arranges page items so you don’t ever have to scroll back and forth to read content. Menus, pictures, tabs, etc. all resize so you only have to scroll down as you read. It’s pretty nice.
So come take a fresh look at us on-line at traverse-pc.com.
John Balcom, MSE, PLS
We have always been aware that Traverse PC is mentioned in various places on the internet besides on our own website. We hadn’t really taken a serious look at the various places we pop up – until recently. We found reviews and comments (mostly positive) as well as questions.
For the most part, what we found didn’t surprise us. But some things did. Probably most surprising (to us anyway) was the number of surveyors’ maps that were created with TPC and are posted online. These are examples of surveyors using TPC in their day-to-day work and really putting the “Professional” in PLS. This is just a smattering of some of the surprising things we found with a Google search for Traverse PC.
(Note that if you are checking this email on your phone or tablet that you may not want to download any of these links that are labeled as PDF Download.)
- Rodney Hall Mapping Services – Clay City, KY – PDF Download
- K.L.S Surveying Inc. – Vernonia, OR – PDF Download
- Brent Cunningham and Co., Inc. – Warner Robins, GA – PDF Download
- Michael A. Wind – Tappahannock, VA – PDF Download
- Monrean Engineering & Associates, Inc. – Ketchikan, AK – PDF Download
- Randall Cloud Surveying – Bryant, AR – PDF Download
- Rau Surveying – Columbus, TX – PDF Download
- Advanced Survey Solutions, LLC. – Columbus, OH – PDF Download
- Southern Survey Company – Judson, TX – Web Page
- DR Land Surveying, Shelton, WA – PDF Download
- Ryan W. Marble Land Surveying – Almond, NY – PDF Download
- E.S. Verry, Ph.D. Hydrologist – Grand Rapids, MI – PDF Download
- Chambers Consulting Inc. – Morrison, CO – PDF Download
- Vermont Land Design, LLC – Hyde Park, VT – PDF Download
- George J. Anderson, L.L.C. – Little Falls, NJ – PDF Download
- Templin Land Surveying – Ward Cove, AK – PDF Download
- Sundquist Land Surveying – Yakima, WA – PDF Download
- “GPS Traverse Experiment” by Ken Lucas and Paul Vincent, Eel River, CA – PDF Download
- “Sediment From a Small Ephemeral Gully in South Carolina” by William F. Hansen and Dennis L. Law, Columbia, SC – PDF Download
Webster’s Dictionary defines “now” as “at the present time or moment”. I read that as “instant gratification”. The internet is probably the most powerful instant gratification vehicle on the planet.
Traverse PC can sell you a program at a reduced price via the download only option. You will be up & running the program immediately. What you save is the cost of shipping, and waiting for the program disk and physical materials to arrive. You don’t, however, get the program any faster because you also get to download the program with a regular purchase.
There are a few disadvantages with the download only option, such as no technical support. The regular purchase of TPC includes thirty days of technical support and we frequently offer one year of the TPC Connection with the purchase. The TPC Connection (over $1000 value) helps fill the gap with full technical support, online training, free major updates and agile releases(a TPCC member exclusive). TPC Connection members even receive higher priority on technical support call backs, ahead of non-TPCC users.
Although the download only has its cost savings now, the TPC Connection provides higher cost savings in the long run. The download only option may not really be the right choice for you, but if it is, welcome to TPC and instant gratification!